Active Ingredient History

NOW
  • Now
Olsalazine is an anti-inflammatory drug used in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease such as ulcerative colitis. Orally administered olsalazine is converted to mesalamine which is thought to be the therapeutically active agent in the treatment of ulcerative colitis. The mechanism of action of mesalamine (and sulfasalazine) is unknown but appears to be topical rather than systemic. Mucosal production of arachidonic acid (AA) metabolites, both through the cyclooxygenase pathways, i.e., prostanoids, and through the lipoxygenase pathways, i.e., leukotrienes (LTs) and hydroxyelcosatetraenoic acids (HETEs) is increased in patients with chronic inflammatory bowel disease, and it is possible that mesalamine diminishes inflammation by blocking cyclooxygenase and inhibiting prostaglandin (PG) production in the colon. After oral administration, olsalazine has limited systemic bioavailability. Based on oral and intravenous dosing studies, approximately 2.4% of a single 1.0 g oral dose is absorbed. Less than 1% of olsalazine is recovered in the urine. The remaining 98 to 99% of an oral dose will reach the colon, where each molecule is rapidly converted into two molecules of 5¬ aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA) by colonic bacteria and the low prevailing redox potential found in this environment. The liberated 5-ASA is absorbed slowly resulting in very high local concentrations in the colon. Olsalazine has been evaluated in ulcerative colitis patients in remission, as well as those with acute disease. Both sulfasalazine-tolerant and intolerant patients have been studied in controlled clinical trials. Overall, 10.4% of patients discontinued olsalazine because of an adverse experience compared with 6.7% of placebo patients. The most commonly reported adverse reactions leading to treatment withdrawal were diarrhea or loose stools (olsalazine 5.9%; placebo 4.8%), abdominal pain, and rash or itching (slightly more than 1% of patients receiving olsalazine).   NCATS

  • SMILES: OC(=O)c1cc(ccc1O)\N=N\c2ccc(O)c(c2)C(=O)O
  • InChIKey: QQBDLJCYGRGAKP-FOCLMDBBSA-N
  • Mol. Mass: 302.24
  • ALogP: 2.91
  • ChEMBL Molecules:
More Chemistry

Drug Pricing (per unit)

Australia

$0.3148 - $0.5546
More Pricing Detail

Note: This drug pricing data is preliminary, incomplete, and may contain errors.

ads | azodisalicylate | azodisal sodium | benzoic acid, 3,3'-azobis(6-hydroxy)-, | cj 91b | cj-91b | dipentum | disodium 5,5'-azodisalicylate | disodium azodisalicylate | olsalazine | olsalazine, disodium salt | olsalazine sodium | rasal | sodium azodisalicylate | sodium diazosalicylate

Feedback

Data collection and curation is an ongoing process for CDEK - if you notice any information here to be missing or incorrect, please let us know! When possible, please include a source URL (we verify all data prior to inclusion).

Report issue